Friday, May 11, 2012

Mother's Day... For the moms who are but aren't

2007-06-02peonies


 


Mother's day is coming up.  And truly, this topic deserves much more time and thought than I can give it right now.  But I just read something that so blessed my heart that I had to share.  I know it will bless so many of my mommy friends out there.  We've all been there on that first Mother's Day without our babies.  I remember the first Mother's Day I was actually a mother.  2010.  Whitney had been born in February, and Mother's Day was of course, in May.  I remember thinking in 2009 how I had longed for a baby to be in my arms for years.  Surely next would be the year that would finally happen.  I was certain of it.  We were still trying to get pregnant, but we'd also started an adoption.  There was no way that I could not be holding my child the next year. 


Of course, we know what happened.  Mother's Day 2010 came and went.  And I felt more alone, more empty than ever. Maybe you've been there too.  Maybe you are there.  You should be holding your baby, snuggling her, or possibly still carrying him.  But you're not.  You're alone (or so it seems), your womb is empty, and instead of celebrating being a mom, you're dreading Sunday.  You're wondering how you will ever sit through a church service that will most likely be dedicated to everything that you feel you are not-- a mother. (For the record, I couldn't go to church on Mother's Day in 2010.  I didn't go in 2011 either.)


Please know, you are a mom.  If its your only child in Heaven and your arms physically ache with emptiness, know that you are still a mom.  Or if you have two kids already at home, but have one who now praises Jesus in Heaven, you are still a mom of three.  I know there are days when you won't feel like it.  There will be days when you don't feel worthy of the title.  But you were blessed with a life- for however short a season it may have been- and in that season, you became a mom. You are beautiful,and you are strong. 


You simply MUST go over to this blog and read this beautiful letter written for YOU.  I know, you may feel lazy and not want to take the extra effort to click the little link (oh! the exertion!) but do it anyway.  Really.... do it!  You will be blessed.


{for the mother that thinks she isn't}



No comments:

Post a Comment